Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Yummy Summer


Summer in Texas is delicious. If any of you have been to one of the local farmers markets lately, you know what I am talking about - tomatoes, peppers, peaches, melons, herbs, onions, oh my! While perusing the market the other day, I had an incling for a special dinner - stuffed veggies. Now, this dinner does take some time. You all know that 30 minute meals are a general rule in my house. But when you have the time, these stuffed veggies are well worth the wait! I couldn't find a recipe that suited what I had in the kitchen, so I made up my own. Let me know what you think!

Sausage and Brown Rice Stuffed Veggies

1 lb ground sausage, cooked
1 cup brown rice, cooked
1 red onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 red/yellow/orange pepper, diced
1 tbsp chili powder
3-4 sprigs fresh oregano, just the leaves
4-6 veggies for stuffing (peppers, tomatoes, zucchini, summer squash, sweet onions, etc.)

Mix up the first 7 ingredients in a bowl. Add salt and pepper to taste. Cut veggies and seed to prepare for stuffing. Spoon meat mixture into veggies. Cook for about 20 minutes at 400 degrees.

No comments:

Post a Comment