Sunday, June 13, 2010

More Salad for You!

Okay, I promise after this post I will attempt to vary my recipe. But, holy cow, I happened on a great salad that I HAVE to share!
I for one love Curried Chicken Salad, my favorite version so far being the one made at Whole Foods downtown. I found that recipe online, but of course I didn't have all of the ingredients. And tell me, who the heck has time to "run" to the store when you are faced with a hungry whiny 4 year old? So, I did what I do best - improvised! Below is my experiment. It turned out pretty darn good!

Curried Chicken Salad

1 lb chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
1/4 c dressing (see recipe below)
1 medium carrot
1/2 medium sweet onion
2 cloves garlic
2 tsp curry
1/4 c dried unsweetened coconut flakes
1/4 c raisins

Place dressing, carrot, onion, garlic, curry and coconut flakes into a food processor. Mix for at least a minute, until all ingredients are relatively smooth. Pour mixture into a large bowl. Toss it together with chicken and raisins. Tastes great on top of mixed baby greens or wrapped inside lettuce.



Vegan Dressing (Jenny and Kristen this is NOT mayonnaise!)

1 package silken tofu
juice of 1 lemon
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1-2 tbsp sugar (turbinado works best)
1 tsp mustard powder

Throw all ingredients into a food processor for about 2 minutes until creamy. This mixture can be refrigerated for about a week. Works great as a low fat mayo substitute or as a base for a creamy vegan dressing!

No comments:

Post a Comment